New Delhi: If you are among those who are yet to file their ITR for fiscal 2018-19, you can file it online, sitting in the comfort of your home. The online filing format of ITR is known as e-filing, which is a convenient way to file income tax returns.
However, to file your ITR, you have to register yourself on the Income Tax Department’s e-filing website.
The registration process is quite easy, you need to keep your PAN card handy and enter the details that are required.
In addition, while registering yourself on the portal you will be required to provide your mobile number and email address which is mandatory.
Details required while registration for individual users:
a) Valid PAN
b) Valid Mobile Number
c) Valid Current Address
d) Valid Email Address, preferably your own
Steps to register
- Visit www.incometaxindia.gov.in. Click on ‘Register Yourself’.
- Select the user type: ‘Individual’ from the list of options available. Click on ‘Continue’.
It is worth noting that apart from Individuals, only these users can register themselves on the e-filing website: i) Hindu Undivided Family (HUF), ii) Other than Individual/HUF, iii) External Agency, iv) Chartered Accountants, v) Tax Deductor and Collector and vi) Third-Party Software Utility Developer
- Enter your required details: PAN, Surname, Middle Name, First Name, date of birth (as mentioned on PAN), residential status. Click on ‘Submit’.
- Next, you will be required to fill in other details such as password, mobile number, landline number, email ID, and address. Ensure that you have filled this information correctly. The income tax department will be using your contact details to send you SMS/mails etc. Click on ‘Continue’ once all the required details are filled in the registration form.
- You will be required to verify your registration to complete the process. A one-time password (OTP) will be sent to your mobile number and a verification link will be sent to your email address. Enter the OTP received and click on the link received to successfully register yourself on the e-filing website.
How to login on income tax e-filing website
Once you have successfully registered yourself, you can now login to your account on the income tax website. Your PAN will be your user ID to login to your account. You will need to enter your password and captcha to log-in to your account.
The first way to file your ITR online:
- Visit the Income Tax Department portal: incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in
- Select the filing of income tax return option.
- Next to select the assessment year you will be re-directed to a new page. Select the assessment year from the dropdown menu, then choose your assessment year, along with ITR form number 1, and filing type – original or revised return.
- After that under the submission mode, click ‘prepare and submit online’.
- Next, select the pre-validated bank account. This is the bank account where will receive the IT refund if you are eligible for any.
Another way to file your income tax return online:
- Same as first, go to the IT Department portal, and log in.
- Under this process, taxpayers will have to download their income tax return form. While downloading make sure it is the correct income tax return form in excel format.
- After downloading, fill the form with your details, and information.
- Check and confirm all relevant tax details before filing the ITR form. You can skip this step if you do not have any tax liability.
- Then, generate an XML file of the form to upload.
- After that go the e-filing website to submit the form. Upload the generated XML file, and click on the ‘Submit Return’ option.
- You will then be sent a confirmation message, visible on your screen validating the completion of e-filing – confirm your ITR verification.
- Additionally, the acknowledgment form generated can be downloaded. The acknowledgment form will also be mailed to taxpayers’ registered email ids.
- To e-verify your returns, you can do it through various modes such as registered mobile number, net banking, Demat account number, bank ATM, bank account number, Aadhaar OTP, and e-mail id.