If you’ve paid higher taxes to the government in FY 2019-20, then filing of income tax return (ITR) is mandatory if you want to claim a refund from the department. Once you file your ITR, the income tax department does the assessment and refund, if any, gets credited directly into your pre-validated bank account. If you have been waiting for your tax refund and are not aware of how to check the status, then you are not the only one. There are many people who don’t know how to check their income tax refund status.
How to check the status of your income tax refund
Once you file your ITR and claim a tax refund, you can track your income tax refund status online at www.incometaxindia.gov.in or www.tin-nsdl.com.
Log on to any of these two websites and click on ‘Status of Tax Refunds’ tab, enter your PAN and the assessment year (AY) for which your refund is pending.
Status of tax refund: Through an e-filing website
- Visit the income tax e-filing portal
- Login with a user ID, password, DOB/ date of incorporation, and captcha
- Go to ‘My Account’ and click on ‘Refund/Demand Status’
- Select ‘Income Tax Returns’ from the drop-down menu and click on submit
- Click on the acknowledgment number
- A new webpage will appear on your screen showing complete details of your ITR filing
Status of tax refund: Through the NSDL website
1. Visit the website https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/oltas/refundstatuslogin.html
2. Enter your PAN details
3. Select the relevant assessment year for which you want to check the refund status.
4. Enter the captcha code and click on submit.
If the refund has already been processed by the department, you will get a message mentioning the mode of payment, a reference number, status and date of refund.