WhatsApp, one of the most widely used communication applications not only allows its users to interact, chat and share media files (photos, videos, audios, GIFs, etc.). However, it also allows users to send and receive money. This is through WhatsApp payments using the UPI. (Unified Payment Interface). Yes, now WhatsApp users can transfer money to other people in their contact list. However, you need to note that you can send and receive money only after you add your bank account to WhatsApp Pay.
Check out how to send and receive money on WhatsApp payments – here are the steps to do so:
How to send money on WhatsApp payments:
1. Open the chat with whom you would like to send money, then tap Attach and then Payment.
2. Tap Continue to verify your debit card information.
3. Enter the last 6 digits of your debit card number and expiration date.
4. Tap Done and set up UPI PIN.
5. The OTP (One Time Password) may be pre-filled. If not, an SMS containing the OTP may be sent to your phone. Type the OTP under ENTER OTP. To send another OTP to your phone, tap Resend OTP.
6. Create a UPI (Unified Payment Interface) PIN (Personal Identification Number) and enter it under SETUP UPI PIN and tap Submit.
7. Once UPI setup is complete, tap Done.
8. Open the chat with whom you would like to send money, tap Attach and then Payment.
9. Enter the rupee amount you would like to send.
10. Enter a description for the payment and tap Send.
It can be noted that you may be asked to enter the UPI PIN before sending a payment. Once the payment is sent, the transaction details will be listed in the chat, including a transaction ID.
Also, you will not be able to send money if your contact does not have payments enabled. You will see the following pop-up message when trying to send them money: “To receive a payment, needs to set up payments in WhatsApp by tapping Settings > Payments”
How to receive money on WhatsApp payments:
If your bank account is already added, you are ready to receive money. However, in order to receive money when your bank account is not added to WhatsApp, here is what you need to do:
1. Tap Accept Payment.
3. Tap Verify via SMS.
4. From the list of banks, tap the name of your bank.
5. A list of bank accounts associated with your phone number will be listed. Tap the bank account you want to add to WhatsApp.
6. Tap Done.