The largest 125 U.S. health insurers collected approximately $713 billion in premiums, with the top 25 accounting for nearly two-thirds of the total.
While being a large insurers does not necessarily mean they provide the best health insurance, it is an interesting look at total market share in the health insurance industry.
If you’re a small business looking for an alternative to expensive group policies, the Small Business HRA enables your employees to choose a policy that best fits their needs.
However, if you do choose to go with group, below are the top 25 health insurance companies, according to the most recent annual data (2012) available by the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC).
Interested in providing affordable health insurance to your employees? Learn how in our Comprehensive Guide to the Small Business HRA.
Top 25 U.S. Health Insurance Companies, By Market Share
- Unitedhealth Group
- Wellpoint Inc. Group
- Kaiser Foundation Group
- Humana Group
- Aetna Group
- HCSC Group
- Cigna Health Group
- Highmark Group
- Coventry Corp. Group
- HIP Insurance Group
- Independence Blue Cross Group
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey Group
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan Group
- California Physicians’ Service
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida Group
- Health Net of California, Inc.
- Centene Corp. Group
- Carefirst Inc. Group
- Wellcare Group
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts Group
- UHC of California
- Lifetime Healthcare Group
- Cambia Health Solutions Inc.
- Metropolitan Group
- Molina Healthcare Inc. Group